Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Night Our Son Was Born

January 16, 2015

The day was scheduled.  The time of day was set.  Lucas Kent was going to be born on the 19th of January at 3:30pm.  Well, things didn't quite happen that way.  Luke and the Lord had other plans!  Here is what happened the day our son was born...

Cramps.  Bad, painful, strong cramps started to take over my body a few days leading up to Luke's birth.  Some kept me up at night, and some were just more of an annoyance.  Some hurt a lot more than others.  It was a Friday.  I had plans to have brunch with my friend Holly at Scramblers.  We met there at 10am, and the whole time we hung out I was having very strong cramps, which were actually real contractions but I didn't realize it.  We finished eating and I headed home, all while suffering through these pains.  I got home and decided I'd try to lay down and take a nap.  I hardly slept the night before due to being in a lot of pain, so I was pretty tired.  Well, as I was trying to sleep, the pain kept getting worse.  So much so that I would have to get up and walk around and breathe through them.  Still having no clue I was actually in labor.  I went to the bathroom and things seemed different "down there".  I called Justin right away to let him know.  He had just left for work.  I also called my mom asking her what I should do.  They both said to call my doctor right away and see what he said. I talked to the nurse, describing everything that I had been feeling for the past day or so.  She said...

"If your symptoms stay the same or get ANY worse, come to the hospital!"

So, I monitored myself for the next hour or so.  My mom came over to be with me as I was starting to panic a little.  I was afraid of what was happening, afraid for Luke's safety.  The pain was getting worse, so we decided it was time to head to the hospital.  I called Justin and told him to hurry home.  I started packing my bag all while taking breaks to breathe through these painful cramps.  Justin got home and packed his bag as well, just in case they admitted me.  The three of us headed to the hospital.  Mom was calling people, texting people, letting them know what was going on.

"I'll keep you posted.  Will call when we know something."

On our way to Riverside, I was having contractions that took my breath away.  From the back seat mom would say...

"Breathe Katie, don't forget to breathe."

We got to the hospital and was put in a triage room.  I described what was happening and what I was feeling.  I made sure they understand our situation with Luke.  They knew.  As I was in triage, the pain intensified.  I was having contractions every  6-7 minutes.  I was squeezing the life out of Justin's hand, the poor guy.  It really hurt.  I was in tears at this point.  An hour went by before the doctor came in check my cervix, to see if I had dialted at all.  She's checking me, which hurt like crazy, and had a surprised look on her face.  She says...

"You're 5cm dialted!"

What?!  I'm in active labor right now??  Then Justin asks...

"So, does that mean he's going to be born later tonight sometime?"  The doctor says...

"No, he'll be born within the hour."

Oh my gosh.  I can hardly breathe.  We were scheduled for a C-Section three days from now.  My sister was due to fly in tomorrow night.  She's going to miss his birth.  I was devastated she'd miss it.  She wouldn't get a chance to hold him.  The tears started to flow.  I was terrified and excited all at the same time.  My sister Beth happened to be in the room with us when we found out he was on his way.  She said to us...

"It's ok.  God knew this was going to happen.  He's not surprised, it's ok.  You'll be ok."

Our boy was going to be born within the hour.  Oh my goodness, we're going to see him soon.  I started to pray..."Oh Lord, please protect Luke.  Keep him safe.  Give him time with us, please."

Before we knew it, our room was flooded with nurses.  One was drawing my blood, one was trying to get my IV started.  My pesky veins weren't cooperating.  Finally, a nurse, Laura Gilbert, got my IV in.  This nurse, Laura, was a God-send.  She was the sweetest, most caring, loving nurse.  She was an answer to prayer.  She calmed my nerves and assured me I was in great hands.  I loved her.  Before too long, we were all ready to head to the operating room.



As we headed to the OR and even while I was in there waiting for Justin to come in, I remember feeling completely at peace.  So many people prayed for that specifically; that God would overwhelm me with the peace that only He can give.  He did just that.  I was nervous, but not scared at all.  I couldn't wait to see my son.  I couldn't wait to kiss his little face.  The surgery began, and before long, they lifted Luke from my belly and took him over to the warmer.  He wasn't crying.  I didn't know this at first, but his heart rate was very low.  They didn't waste too much time, and Justin brought him right over to me.  The nurse told him it may not be long .



He was the most precious thing I'd ever seen.  He wasn't crying much, but he was making the cutest coo's and whimpers.  He was beautiful.  It was the best moment of my life, seeing him for the first time.  They took him back to the warmer and checked his heart rate again.  It had gone back up!  He was doing better.  His coloring was better.  He was more pink than blue.  Thank you Lord, for sustaining him thus far.  He was more stable at this point, so they wrapped him up more tightly, put a cute hat on him and all.




Lucas Kent Bays was born on January 16, 2015 at 8:57pm.  He weighed 3 pounds 6 ounces and was 13 1/2 inches long.  Our little peanut. The answer to our prayers.  Our little boy.  The most precious thing I'd ever seen.  The hours that unfolded after his birth were nothing short of a miracle.  He was with us for 6 1/2 glorious hours.  We thought we'd have around 2 hours with him.  God gave us 6 1/2.  I will share more details about those hours in my next post.  God was with us in a way that is almost impossible to describe.  We love and miss our son more than words can say.  We are so proud of him. He is now with his Creator, full and complete, healthy, and strong with both kidneys and lungs that work perfectly.  We love you Luke, so much.

1 comment:

  1. Katie, my heart breaks for you as I read this. Thank you for taking the time to put words to your experience. All so God can be glorified. It is so encouraging to read how God orchestrated even little details (like the boy named Noah) to help give you comfort and peace. Thank you to you and Justin for being so open during this time. It really is a blessing and reminds me to hug my boys a little tighter.

    ReplyDelete